The EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program has an immediate opening for an Environmental Epidemiology Database Specialist position with the Office of Research and Development at the EPA’s facility in Chapel Hill, NC. The selected candidate shall work in the CRB with CRB researchers in order to construct a database of electronic health records for use in epidemiology studies. Responsibilities include the design, construction, evaluation, maintenance, and documentation of a database to house current and future electronic health records and environmental exposure database. Specifically, he/she shall assist an EPA researcher tasked with evaluating appropriate database architectures, selecting suitable software frameworks, e.g. PostgreSQL vs Oracle, for implementing the database, documenting and overcoming challenges associated with databases linking electronic health records and environmental data, and linking the database to relevant external tables and APIs necessary for its proper function.
- Full-time, $20.96 per hour;
- Must have earned at least a Bachelor’s of Science degree in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, database design, database administration, information technology, or closely related informatics field from an accredited university or college within the last 24 months;
- 3+ years of combined coursework and experience in database design and implementation including experience with the following;
- Design of databases using MySQL or Oracle SQL Developer and implementation to at least 3rd normal form;
- Loading data via both SQL Loader and external tables;
- Implementing users and quotas within the database;
- Database optimization, indexing, and error checking including the use of foreign keys; and
- Storing metadata.
For the full position description and to apply, visit our website:
Questions? Email [email protected]. To hear more about position openings like this, follow us on Twitter at @GovCareerPaths.