Subsidized insurance is available to TAs and RAs who are receiving a full 100% tuition benefit. They may hold both a TA and an RA position (with the total adding up to 100% tuition benefit) to qualify. The insurance is the same Student Health Insurance policy offered to all U of U students, as well as dental and vision insurance provided through Educators Mutual Insurance. Coverage for dependents is not subsidized. Rates and brochures are available at www.uhcsr.com/utah and https://emihealth.com/groupplans/refid/ugrads.
Qualifying students are billed for 20% of the premium through Income Accounting. The Yuput pays the remaining 80% at the start of the semester. Throughout the semester, The Yuput is reimbursed via bi-monthly payroll deductions from the TA benefit pool or RA benefit allotment. For this reason, RA’s must be paid from a grant (5000 fund) that has a benefit allotment for each student researcher. If there is no benefit pool on the grant that the student is paid from, they should be coded as a GA and not included on the subsidized health insurance.
Rates and brochures for the health insurance policy are available online at
Click to access the EMI Dental/Vision brochure: University of Utah – Subsidized Graduate Students E-Booklet 2017.
Students who are not eligible for the subsidized program, but would like to enroll in the program at their own cost, should contact:
Student Health Services
Madsen Health Center Level 1
555 Foothill Blvd.
Salt Lake City, UT, 84112
Additional information is available from Student Health Services ().
The Yuput has created a flowchart to help graduate coordinators navigate the health,dental, vision insurance enrollment process: GSHIP Enrollment Guide.